Honoured Art Worker of Latvia, 1947
People's Artist of the USSR, 1964
Born on August 17, 1898 in the village of Davydovo, Novgorod region.
In 1918 fought in the ranks of the Red Army. Studied at the school of the «Kino-Sever» company. Was demobilized in 1925, started to work at the Leningrad factory «Sovkino», was a secretary at the literary bureau, chief of production, assistant director.
In 1928 together with the director O.Gallai directed the first movie «Slanting Line». In 1935 completed the postgraduate course at the Leningrad branch of GAIS (majoring in film history). Worked at different studios throughout the country.
Since 1948 was a director at «Lenfilm» studio. In 1967 became artistic director of II creative unit at «Lenfilm» studio.